Welcome to the Animal Control Officer's
Also visit our Coyote Information Webpage.
Dog Laws for the Town of Nahant
following is a brief summary of Dog Laws for the Town of Nahant
and related information:
1. 24-hour leash law- all dogs MUST be on a leash secured
by its walker whenever it leaves its owners property.
2. NO dogs are permitted in the cemetery.
3. NO DOGS ARE PERMITTED on ANY BEACH, MAY 1ST
through SEPTEMBER 30th. At other times, OCTOBER 1st through
APRIL 30th, dogs may be on any beach but MUST BE LEASHED.
4. All dog walkers must remove their dog's feces from public and
private property. Necessary "tools/equipment" must be carried for this
5. Excessive barking is prohibited and may become a Police matter
if not properly addressed by the owner.
6. All dogs must be licensed EVERY JANUARY. Proof of Rabies
Immunization must be presented to the Clerk in the Town Hall.
7. A low cost Rabies Clinic is held every year behind the
Town Hall the first Wednesday in May. (The Clerk is available for license
purchases for those who may still need to get one.)
8. Please help prevent Pet Overpopulation. Spay/neuter you're
pet. Adopt from shelters or rescue groups, especially mature animals.
One of your Animal Control Officer's major concerns is the timely collection
of Dog Fines issued to those owners who continually do not respect
the Town's Dog Laws. It is important for everyone to understand the procedures
that lead up to a ticket being issued:
your ACO sees an offense occur, or receives a complaint, the first result
is a contact with the owner to explain the offense and laws and the process
which could lead to tickets and fines. This is considered a "VERBAL WARNING"
and is documented in the ACO log. NO FINE IS INCURRED.
2. Subsequent violations witnessed by the ACO, result in written
citations, which are mailed, to the owner. The first written ticket is
a "written Warning" and NO FINE IS CHARGED. Your ACOs believe in education
first to solve animal problems.
3. Additional violations result in fines according to the following:
2nd offense - $10.00 (this is really #3) 3rd offense - $25.00 4th offense
- $35.00 5th offense, etc.- $50.00
4. Occasionally, an ORDER is issued to repeat offenders. If this
is violated, the first time, the fine is $25.00. Each additional violation
Thank you for your support as we continue to serve our town to the very
best of our ability. Any animal related questions or problems call your
ACOs. We will try to help in any way we can. 24 Hour Telephone 781-230-0060.
Nahant Dog Officer: Michael Kairevich Sr.